Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Arrival in Angers and Erasmus stuff.

Phew, it feels like ages since I last blogged!

Well, I arrived in Angers fine, I got a taxi from the station and arrived outside my house, was greeted by  the family and shown to my room (pics to follow shortly, my internet is being sloooow atm). Then the son and his girlfriend took me into town and showed me the phone shop and a supermarket.
Then when I got home and realised I'd have to get the bus on my own in the morning and all the tiredness just hit me and I just wailed on them. I mean properly wailed, like a little child. They were wonderful and gave me cuddles and food and tissues. Then the dad walked me to the bus stop in the morning and made sure I knew which stop to get off at. We spoke a bit of French on the way.

When I got there I met some other girls, one from America, two from Brazil and one from Japan. They were all really nice. We got shown round the library, the halls of residence and the university restaurant and then got shown round the town. After that we were free to wander round. Then the next day we had a meeting and a test to asses our level of French, then got taken to the bank to open a bank account, except there were too many people and we had to come back today instead.
It feel like I've done so many things since my last blog but they're mostly boring so I'll try and keep this short and sweet!

We had a night tour of Angers which was lovely but by about halfway through everyone was getting bored and falling asleep because we'd been walking everywhere for 2 or 3 days with no real break inbetween.

Then at the weekend I went shopping for a bit and then went for drinks in the evening. I also saw a notice in the English speaking library for a family looking for an English-speaking student to live with them for free, with free meals and internet, in return for a couple of nights a week babysitting, so I phoned them yesterday (completely in French, I'm so proud!) and asked for more information, and I'm going to visit their house on Saturday afternoon.

Today I opened a French bank account, bought some 2 euro flip-flops (after searching pretty much every day since I got here!) and some candles, and remembered the word for 'matches' after having to use sign language and some rather muddled French in the corner shop on the way back home. They were lovely though and wanted to know the English word. Matches are 'allumettes' in French, if anyone was wondering...
I also bought a French magazine, Elle, in the hope of reading and understanding a bit of written French rather than just speaking and listening all the time, which I am stronger at.


Tomorrow's To Do list includes: inscription at the University, getting a student card, getting a bus pass, finding my clothes size here, choosing which modules I'll take and asking various boring questions to the head of International Students.



I'll upload pics when my internet isn't being so frustratingly slow. Bye for now!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're settling in :-) I found reading Spanish magazines really helpful when in Valencia; I used to get "Hola!" because my Spanish is nowhere near as good as your French, and Hola! is mainly pictures! ;-)

    ReplyDelete